Monday, July 2, 2007

Add Hank Paulson to the Bottom Callers Casualty List

The latest victim of calling the housing bottom is Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson. It's a real shame too because I really do like Hank. But, earlier today Paulson repeated comments he made way back in April:

"In terms of looking at housing, most of us believe that it's at or near the bottom," he told Reuters. "It's had a significant impact on the economy. No one is forecasting when, with any degree of clarity, that the upturn is going to come other than it's at or near the bottom."
Well, its been 3 months since April and there hasn't been a single good data point on the housing market other than the strong employment numbers. In fact the crucial numbers like excess inventory and prices are still looking worse and worse. Check out this graph below which shows excess inventory and housing starts (click to enlarge).

Basically, until inventory drops housing starts will probably continue to fall which puts increased downward pressure on prices and GDP. If you ask me calling the bottom of home prices now could pose a serious threat to the integrity of one's professional opinion. I know I wouldn't do it! But of course I'm in a win-win position. If I'm right, I'll be right, which is gratifying. If I'm wrong, and housing is at the bottom then that is great for the economy, great for all you homeowners and great for all of our investments! (Hat Tip: Calculated Risk)

No comments:

Disclaimer

The content on this site is provided as general information only and should not be taken as investment advice. All site content, including advertisements, shall not be construed as a recommendation to buy or sell any security or financial instrument, or to participate in any particular trading or investment strategy. The ideas expressed on this site are solely the opinions of the author(s) who may or may not have a position in any company or advertiser referenced above. Any action that you take as a result of information, analysis, or advertisement on this site is ultimately your responsibility. Consult your investment adviser before making any investment decisions.